Easy Lemon Drizzle Cake
Simple but impressive, a well-made lemon drizzle cake is always a winner at the dinner table or a garden party. This recipe is sweet, light, moist and is the taste equivalent to eating sunshine. We recommend buying a few extra lemons, just in case you want to make it even sweeter.
Ingredients - Serves 10 slices
300g caster sugar
3 lemon zests
3 large eggs
150ml double cream
240g plain flour
5g baking powder
75g unsalted butter
3 lemons, juiced
200g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Place 225g of caster sugar in a mixing bowl and add the lemon zest in with your hands.
- Add in the eggs and beat well until the mixture is thick.
- Heat butter on a pan until it's melted, then add the double cream into the pan. Pour this mixture in with the sugar and eggs and stir through.
- Sieve the plain flour and baking powder into the mixture to remove any lumps, and combine.
- Transfer the mixture into a grease-lined baking tin and cook for 40-45 minutes.
- Make your syrup by combining the juice of two lemons, 100ml of water and the remaining sugar into a saucepan over the heat.
- Remove the cake from the oven, poke in a few holes and pour the syrup over the cake.
- Create a quick icing by combining your icing sugar with the final lemon juice, and pipe over the cake.